Monday, December 12, 2011

It's really not so scary...

I had all intentions of kind of writing a day to day walk through of my first trip to Disney and why it was so amazing, but I have been thinking of the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party all day.  We attended this party about midway through the vacation and were so impressed, it was all we could talk about for weeks.

Let me remind you that this trip was my first major visit to Disney World and my husband's very first. I was actually quite nervous about how my husband, Chris, would react to this trip and it took me quite a bit of work to convince him that we NEEDED to go to there.  In his opinion, it was too far (we live in northern Louisiana), too big, too expensive (or so he had heard) and pretty much for kids.  Of course, I had done my homework and came at him with all the ammo I needed to make him think differently.

Anyway, I'm getting off subject.  Let's get back to this Halloween party.  I had read that a lot of people attend the party in costume, but we weren't sure as to the extent. We didn't want to be the only adults showing up in costume and looking like dorks, so we made simple Halloween shirts. Ya know, orange shirts with Jack-o-lantern faces painted on them - we didn't want to stand out.  Umm, I think we stood out for being so DULL!  You would not believe the creativity and imagination of the costumes we saw.  We were floored, and when I tell you we would have been just fine perching on a bench and people watching all night, I'm not lying.

There were so many activities set up around the Magic Kingdom that we didn't know where to start.  We hit a few of the dance parties - again, to people watch - then made our way over to the Villain stage show.  It's Halloween, so of course the Villains had to be in full force. After the show, there was a mix and mingle with the Villains themselves and I couldn't wait to meet Jafar!  We were waiting in line to meet him, and Cruella Deville was standing next to him.  Suddenly, Cruella starts dancing around and screaming and pretty much jumping for joy and we had no idea why - until we saw the family next to us.  They were all dressed as dalmatians.  She (gently) grabbed the little girl of group and lead her to the photo area and the rest of the family followed. The four of them gathered together while Cruella continued to dance circles around them and yell, "Puppies! More puppies!"  The kids were loving it, and so were we.

After hours of riding rides with no wait, and trick or treating at all the stations, it was time for the HalloWishes fireworks.  The music was great.  All of our favorite villain tunes and songs from Nightmare Before Christmas.  After the fireworks we headed to Frontierland to catch the Boo to You Parade.

The parade was made for me. It had to have been. The imagineers must have stolen my dreams one night and made a parade out of them just for me. I'll have to discuss that another day because I can go on forever and this is already too long.

But, why did this party become one of our most favorite things? For me, it was this....



...seeing my 39 year old husband wearing Mickey ears and being excited to meet Woody.  This smile didn't leave his face for the entire trip. Remember, this was a man who had no desire to visit Disney World because it was a place only for kids.  Well, we were kids that week and he didn't want to leave. 

This place truly is full of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment